Wednesday 19 February 2014

A day the miles flew by ...

After another great breakfast I headed out to what was promised as a fine day, and so it turned out. Leaving the hostel behind



it's a short walk up the A338 to rejoin the Ridgeway. I had a 19 mile walk ahead of me today, but the miles just seemed to fly by, clearly my legs are getting used to walking day after day. I seem to remember it was the same on my Pennine Way walk, with days 1 and 2 going OK but feeling tired on day 3, then steaming ahead from day 4 onwards.

Some fine views ...



Though a bit misty as I reached the crossing with the B4001



An obsolete ladder style



Further on past White Horse Hill you come to Wayland's Smithy long barrow, with a useful information board





The path at that point as fairly muddy but cross into the wood that runs parallel to it and there's a dryer, and less used, path



Lots of pig farms in this part of the world, these three came to see me



Shortly afterwards you pass the distinctive 'Nells Hill'



From there it's a short walk to cross the M4, and a climb to the final ridge before descending into Ogbourne St George. On the outskirts of the village I pass the 'The Inn with the well' pub, which I discovered later really does have a well in it, covered by a glass floor. Quite strange standing in a pub and looking down into a well! Unfortunately it was closed, opening at 4, so I booked into my b&b, changed and then headed back for a pint for two. Superb end to what had been another great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment