Tuesday 18 February 2014

Duck is broken ... my waterproof jacket comes out

Breakfast this morning was the best, and largest, that I've ever had in a hostel, I think the guy cooking it took pity on me as a) rain was forecast today (little did he know I'd successfully dodged it to date) and b) I was the only one booked for breakfast. Whatever the reason I got 2 eggs, fried bread, hash browns, bacon, sausage, baked beans and mushrooms ... and he even made me my mugs of tea!

From Streatley I was anticipating a change in the Way, as it was at this point I joined the original 'Ridgeway', before it was extended to Beacon Hill. So it proved as the paths became wider, more time was spent on the high ground and there were generally magnificent views over the surrounding countryside.

However my luck didn't hold, and an hour after starting the first rain appeared, not heavy and only requiring my waterproof jacket, which came off about an hour later as the clouds passed. I did though have to cross a flooded portion of the track as I dropped off one ridge before climbing the next, thankfully not deep enough to cause any real difficulty and this time my feet stayed dry.







Reaching the next ridge, the clouds parted to reveal more blue sky



and after crossing the A34 I came across the first of many signs prohibiting traffic on the Ridgeway in an attempt to limit the damage done by those intent on driving the green lanes.



with later on a good view down to Didcot power station, creating its own cloud.



I don't know who Scutchamer was but apparently his knob is that way



and it's not that pretty a sight



One of the many trees I came across blown over by the recent storms



Later on a large herd of deer crossed the path



Shortly afterwards I reached the memorial to Brigadier Robert James Loyd-Lindsay, 1st Baron Wantage, VC KCB (17 April 1832 – 10 June 1901) who was a British soldier, politician, benefactor to Wantage, one of the founders of the British National Society for Aid to the Sick and Wounded in War latterly called the British Red Cross Society, for which he crucially obtained the patronage of Queen Victoria, and a distinguished philanthropist and luminary of Victorian society. It was just before here that I was convinced a huge black cloud was going to dump on me, but it passed safely to the South of me



but for some reason my GPS went crazy here, no doubt in my mind caused by the cloud. Weather forecast had predicted hail so I suspect there was hail in the cloud, as rain doesn't affect GPS signals



Soon I arrived at Court Hill Centre, previously a Youth Hostel but now run privately, where I was to stay that evening. It also has a tea room for those walking past, and I can recommend the flapjacks and the leek and potato soup!

Today had definitely been the best walking day so far with great views, and generally fine weather, and it got better when I discovered I had the whole hostel to myself! How they covered their costs I have no idea, but I was provided with unlimited tea and even fresh milk in the fridge, an evening meal and a huge breakfast all for £27.

The wooden beams



My TV room



My dining room

No comments:

Post a Comment